Sunday, February 7, 2010

I would be a rich man

If I did not have such a healthy outdoor recreation obsession, I figure I could retire somewhere around the age of 35. I do not even want to imagine all the money I have invested in gear! It is an ongoing problem in life. And no matter the size of my paycheck there always seems to be a percentage of it that is budgeted to buy some climbing hardware, camping amenities or skiing paraphernalia. I do not have a solution to my problem and luckily my wife is aware of my problem and tolerates me the best she can. Over the past few years websites such as Steep and Cheap have played the devils advocate for people like me. I have a love hate relationship with it, but my wife probably wishes she could block all discount gear websites from my computer.

Here is one corner of my happy place, There is also a closet that looks like it vomited after a lunch at REI.

One of my proudest accomplishments while being a homeowner is the transformation of a bedroom into a gear room. I show it off to everyone that visits and sometimes when no one is watching, I enter my gear room, close the door and play with all my investments. I also enjoy seeing other peoples gear rooms and checking out gear that others have that are on my list of future purchases. I know I am a total nerd, but I figure there are worse habits out there. Share your thoughts on gear rooms, storage techniques or addictions to gear that you have. I would like to know if there are more people out there that share my illness.

There is no such thing as too many kayaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment